Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Why Jack Daniel's "Our Town" is the Ad of the Year

There are numerous examples from brands all around the world of high-quality advertisements made for the whiskey industry. However, none had ever captivated me in a way that made me feel like I had to get in my car immediately and drive to the liquor store to get their product in my hands. That is, until I saw Jack Daniel's new "Our Town" ad for the first time last week. In case you haven't seen it, this is it:

As someone who has been to Lynchburg and toured the distillery, I can personally attest to the accuracy of the commercial in its portrayal of the town and its people. When driving down the main drag, it feels as though you are stepping back in time, into a simpler world where Southern charm and values are not only cherished, but expected. Even as I have watched the commercial dozens of times over since I happened across it on ESPN one day, I can close my eyes when that music starts and I can see the shops and storage buildings, smell the sour mash... Immediately I am transported back to my first time there, and to my first sip of Jack.


Perhaps the best part of the ad is the people the commercial depicts. From veterans to immigrants to the descendants of Jack Daniel himself, all are welcome to make Lynchburg home, and all are proud to call it theirs. With the pairing of the words ("This is how many people are proud of what we do here. This is how many will go around bragging about it.") and the imagery of a sea of faces followed by a row of empty chairs, Our Town perfectly captures the essence of Tennessee and Southern pride, simplicity, and modesty.

No matter the product or the medium used to convey it, what separates a great ad from a good one is its ability to tell a story. Jack Daniel's "Our Town" tells one that connects and captivates the viewer. For many, it also makes them think about where they have come from, and why they love Old No. 7. Jack Daniel's is a household name, and is the top-selling American whiskey in the world. With an advertisement like this one, it's easy to see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment